The Reverend Charles Johnson, then rector of Christ Episcopal Church in Bay St. Louis, founded Coast Episcopal School in 1950. The school, originally named Christ Episcopal Day School, started with a kindergarten class of seventeen meeting in the Parish Hall of the church.
In July 1951, the church purchased a seven and one-half acre estate on the Gulf of Mexico where an existing carriage house was renovated to house the school. As the school grew at the rate of one grade per year, the church built and improved on the property in Bay St. Louis to allow for a complete grammar school by 1958.
In 1968, property on the beach in Pass Christian was purchased to house not only a much needed junior high but also a full senior high school, with September 1969 as the target date for opening.
Hurricane Camille’s devastating blow to the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast in August 1969 totally destroyed the facilities in Pass Christian and severely damaged the elementary facilities in Bay St. Louis. With the completion of repairs and the addition of relocatable classroom buildings in Bay St. Louis, the renamed Coast Episcopal School was able to open its doors to students in grades kindergarten through twelve by the end of September 1969. In August 1971, on a thirty-five acre tract of land that was once a pecan orchard, a new facility in Long Beach was built for students in the junior high and senior high grades. In 1975, the Early Education Development Center was created for children ages four to five, and by 1987, a three year-old class was added to the program. During the summer of 2001, the faculty and staff worked diligently to move from Bay St. Louis to the Long Beach campus on Espy Avenue. Through the generous efforts of some Coast Episcopal School families, a new Preschool building was constructed on the Espy Avenue campus. When school began in August of 2002, all of Coast Episcopal School’s students were at a single, united campus; for the first time since the founding of the school in 1950, the Coast Episcopal School family was together as one.
In 2008, a new Toddler Building was constructed to house our youngest members (ages one through three) of the Coast Episcopal School family.
Today Coast Episcopal School continues to provide the young people of the Mississippi Gulf Coast with a sound academic education while instilling in them the principles of Judeo-Christian belief and practice.